Getting into car accidents or collisions can be very scary and stressful. If you hit a parked car, there will probably be a lot of ideas racing through your head. This article will detail what you should do in a scenario like this as well some tips to help you if you ever end up in a system like this one.
If you hit a parked car that is parked legally, then you will be at fault. Here are the steps you should take:
- Do not Hit and Run – When you panic, you might make some destructive decisions due to higher levels of anxiety and fright. The first thing you should do in this situation is not to flee the scene. The cost of repairing the other person’s vehicle if it gets damaged is significantly lower than the cost of a hit and run. Participating in a hit and run is an offense that could get you jail time. A surveillance camera could have your car’s information, or someone could’ve taken a picture of your license plate. Fleeing the scene is simply not a good idea. If it happened to you, you wouldn’t want the person to run away.
- Find the Owner of the Car – The next thing to do is find the owner of the car you just hit. If you’re parked outside a store, go into the store and talk to customer service. Explain to them what happened and give them a description of the car. They will then give an announcement, and if the owner of the car is in the store, they’ll come out to meet you. If it’s not a store, but a parking garage, ask people nearby if they know the owner of the car. If you can’t find the owner of the car, you’ll move to the next step.
- Leave a Note – If you’re unable to locate the owner of the vehicle, the next step is to leave a note. Leave a simple short message that contains your name, your phone number, and a brief summary of what happened. Fold the note, then place it in a spot that they will see but will also be safe from the weather. If you hit a parked car Brooklyn NY during the day, you can place it under the windshield wiper or stick it in either of the side-view mirrors.
- Inform the Police – In some states, you will be required to call the police. If the damage the car has sustained is significant, then you should contact the police regardless of the state you live in.
- Have Evidence – You should take pictures of the damage you caused. This is important, so you don’t end up paying for damages you didn’t cost. Take photos or close-up videos that you can show the police and your insurance officer. If you place a note on the car, take a video of the written note and ensure the video shows you placing the note on the car and walking away.
- Witnesses – If there are people around, you should talk to them so they can prove you didn’t run away after hitting the car. If your state requires the presence of the police, then you can wait and let them interview the witnesses.
- Contact your insurance company – If you hit a parked car, your insurance rates will go up. When you hit a parked car Brooklyn NY, your rate goes up because you’re marked as a higher risk than you were before. Call them and inform them that you hit a parked car. They will ask for proof, and then you will send them the videos and pictures that you recorded.
If you have insurance, make sure to contact your insurance company immediately letting them know you hit a parked car and will be in need of working with their claims assistance.
Get the best solution for Parked Car Accidents
If you are staying in New York and your vehicle gets involved in rear-end collisions, do not waste any single time and put your life at risk. Rather, take your vehicle immediately to Brooklyn auto body shops with ASE and I-CAR certifications. By doing so, you will have your car sound and safe again. If you are looking for a New York auto body shop around you, we can help you with that.
Insurance Claims For Parked Car Collisions
Let’s say that you decided not to have that minor front bumper damage repaired to save a few bucks, and the absorbers and/or bumper bar were weakened without your knowledge. Later, you’re involved in another front-end accident, resulting in serious damage to the engine compartment. An insurance adjuster could potentially inspect the vehicle and notice the old bumper damage. They may then determine that the previous damage structurally compromised the bumper’s integrity, allowing the force of the most recent crash to cause more-extensive and “unnecessary” repairs. In a worst-case scenario, your insurance company has the right to decline your claim altogether, and then you’ll be forced to pay out-of-pocket for all the repairs.
Has your car been in a collision or minor fender bender? If your vehicle has received body, frame or paint damage, call Auto Group Collision at (718) 449-4616 and see how we can help! Contact us now to for a FREE ESTIMATE!
Auto Group Collision is Brooklyn’s Body Shop Experts
Since 2004 Auto Group Collision has been providing the people of Brooklyn and surrounding areas with the highest quality of collision repair and auto body repair service. We established a trusted collision center that takes customer from the initial estimate to the completion of repair to getting you back into your car and in the driver’s seat while working closely with your insurance company.
Dealing with an automobile collision is traumatic enough without having to worry about filing insurance claims. We know that each insurance company has its own procedures, and we’re here to assist you with the insurance company transactions. We provide the information they require regarding the collision repairs, as we guide you through the entire process of dealing with all the paperwork.
We accept all insurance estimates and work with all insurance companies. Auto Body Collision wants you to be a satisfied policy holder, so we’ve established relationships with all the region’s major insurance companies. Working directly with your insurance company, we’re able to start repairs immediately while also often helping speed up the insurance adjuster’s inspection and approval.
As soon as the work is approved, the parts are ordered. To expedite the work, when parts are received they are put into a bin, which only holds parts for one particular job. This type of care and orderliness insures your vehicle is repaired using only authorized parts.
Auto Body Collision works with your insurance company, estimating damage, handling your claim, and negotiating with the insurance company to make sure your repairs are done properly and swiftly.
Has your car been in a collision or minor fender bender? If your vehicle has received body damage, frame or paint damage, call Auto Group Collision at (718) 449-4616 and see how we can help! Contact us now to for a FREE ESTIMATE!