Being in a collision is certainly stressful. Assuming you did not sustain serious injuries, your first thought is likely: oh great, now I have to deal with the insurance company, fill out claims forms and fight for the money I need just to cover repairs. We get it. Filing insurance claims can be torturous, which is why it’s a relief when your auto mechanic can take care of that part for you.
If you do find yourself in the aftermath of a collision, follow these steps
Call 911 if you or your passengers have suffered an injury, call 911, then wait for emergency responders. Stay put and don’t move.
If you are able, move your vehicle to the side of the road or a sidewalk. If you think your car is posing a safety hazard where it has come to rest, and if it’s drivable and safe to do so, pull over to the side of the road or other safe nearby area.
You shouldn’t be the one to decide how serious a crash is. You should call the police whether you have gone through a simple fender bender or have been part of a major collision. The officers on the scene will take an accident report and take notes to pass on to your insurance company later. This will help them with the claims process.
Approach the driver of the other vehicle and exchange contact and insurance information. Be sure to get their:
- Name and contact info
- Insurance company/policy number
- Driver’s license and license plate number
- Vehicle make, model and color
- Specific location at the accident
- Don’t talk about anything else except these basics, and certainly do not discuss fault. Fault will be
- determined by the adjuster after they fully inspect both vehicles, and receive all information from
- both parties as well as any supporting documentation. These documents can include anything from
- photos of the scene to the police report.
Next, you will want to:
- Ask the police officers for their names and badge numbers.
- Find out where to obtain a copy of their accident report to give your insurance company. Most will give you a copy right then and there.
- Document the accident scene. Take pictures of your vehicle from all angles to show damage. While you’re at it, take a photo of the other driver’s license plate.
- Talk to witnesses at the scene if there are any, writing down their names and getting their contact information.
If it’s safe to do so and you have time, call your insurance agent while you are still on the scene. They will let you know what you will need to obtain for the claims process, saving you time and hassle from hunting it all down later. They should also be able to tell you what to expect in the claims process and what next steps you should be taking.
Auto Group Collision in Brooklyn, NY is Here to Assist with Your Car Insurance Claims
Since 2004 Auto Group Collision has been providing the people of Brooklyn and surrounding areas with the highest quality of collision repair and auto body repair service. We established a trusted collision center that takes customer from the initial estimate to the completion of repair to getting you back into your car and in the driver’s seat while working closely with your insurance company.
Dealing with an automobile collision is traumatic enough without having to worry about filing insurance claims. We know that each insurance company has its own procedures, and we’re here to assist you with the insurance company transactions. We provide the information they require regarding the collision repairs, as we guide you through the entire process of dealing with all the paperwork.
We accept all insurance estimates and work with all insurance companies. Auto Body Collision wants you to be a satisfied policy holder, so we’ve established relationships with all the region’s major insurance companies. Working directly with your insurance company, we’re able to start repairs immediately while also often helping speed up the insurance adjuster’s inspection and approval.
As soon as the work is approved, the parts are ordered. To expedite the work, when parts are received they are put into a bin, which only holds parts for one particular job. This type of care and orderliness insures your vehicle is repaired using only authorized parts.
Auto Body Collision works with your insurance company, estimating damage, handling your claim, and negotiating with the insurance company to make sure your repairs are done properly and swiftly.
Has your car been in a collision or minor fender bender? If your vehicle has received body, frame or paint damage, call Auto Group Collision at (718) 449-4616 and see how we can help! Contact us now to for a FREE ESTIMATE!